9/11 Memorial in Cedarhurst

On September 11, I attended the memorial of the terrorist attack at Cedarhurst Park in Cedarhurst, New York. The event focused specifically on those from the Five Towns community– the people who worked at the World Trade Center, as well as fire fighters and volunteer rescue workers– who were murdered on that day ten years ago. An earlier post describes exactly what went on their– the speeches, the orchestra, and the a cappella choir.

What really touched me about the program was that it was about my community specifically, so it had a really personal touch to it. There was a large crowd there, and it didn’t matter what religion or race the people were a part of– we all just gathered together as a community to share in the loss and remember the tragedies of 9/11. The Five Towns community has both a large Jewish and a large Christian population, and the speakers at the memorial spoke about their ability to unite as a community even though their beliefs might be different.

It was altogether a beautiful event, and I am glad that I attended.

One thought on “9/11 Memorial in Cedarhurst

1. It would be encouraging if the solidarity that is routinely expressed at events like this could carry over into everyday life. At least we see it is possible and it can give us hope. for the future.