A Reflection on the Met

The Frans Hals exhibit was enjoyable in a way that allowed me to see something other than what I am used to.  It also allowed me to appreciate Hals’ type of work; it is usually not something I would chose to view.

Two things make or break a piece of art for me: its story and how it was made.  I love something that has meaning.  So, for example, when we learned about how Hals’ pieces incorporate everyday life and humor, I gained appreciation for it.  I also liked how the rouge cheeks of his subjects, such as in “Young Men and Woman in an Inn,” is an expression of happiness.  As a lover of painting, I also love to see and learn about technique.  For this reason I was captured by how he painted the white collar on a subject by slavering on white paint and using black to create the holes in it.

My favorite piece was “The Fisher Girl” (1630-32) because of the sensation of movement in the painting as if light, air and endless space swept behind the girl.  The piece was also in astonishingly fabulous condition.

After going to the Frans Hals exhibit, I decided to take a look at the Robert Lehman Collection.  One painting that captured my eye was by Claude Lorrain (1604/5-1682) called “Purseus and the Origin of Coral” (1671).  The years are what specifically caught be eye since this artist was alive during the time of Hals.  They were alive during the same artistic time period, yet they clearly had different approaches.  Lorrain’s piece is less dramatic, yet it has a greater back story as it is inspired by Greek Mythology.

Both exhibits were definitely worth my time!

One thought on “A Reflection on the Met

1. One comment I would make is that while the Lorrain piece views a scene from a great distance, the Hals zeros in on the detail of a particular moment in time, and is thus powerfully immediate and emotional. I think that immediacy is a growing trend in art in the 17th century.