Renaissance Fair

Last Sunday, I accompanied my cousins to the Renaissance Fair in Fort Tryon Park in Washington Heights, New York City.  Walking in, I felt I was transported to another world and time.  People were walking around in medieval dress carrying medieval weapons.  The most amazing thing was that the people who had dressed up really believed they were in another time.  Everyone took their job quite seriously. There were booths set up selling medieval wares and medieval foods.  There were wooden and metal swords for sale, and one could practice with them to test out their weights.  People could buy turkey legs, and burnt corn on the cob.  The finale of the fair was a jousting competition.  Jousters competed on horseback by attempting to lance their opponent.  Even though everything appeared to be fake, everyone was enjoying the day.  It brought us back to a time of King Arthur’s court, and allowed us in the twenty first century to escape it for one day,and go back to an apparently simpler time. I will certainly be attending the fair next year. 

One thought on “Renaissance Fair

1. How great! So glad you went. Clearly there are more “Arts” to appreciate than just what is hanging on the walls of a museum or hailing forth from the concert stage. Seeing a fair like this in person gives you a very concrete appreciation of everyday experience in a different time. (I went to a Civil War Battle recreation once and it makes a very strong impression, even though you know everyone is acting.) Did you go to the Cloisters? A visit there will resonate quite differently now that you have experienced the fair.