New York Comic Con

This weekend marked New York’s celebration of a less traditional kind of art: the comic book. Geeks, nerds, and fans of all kind came down to the Javits Center in New York City to take part in a one of a kind exhibition of all things nerd. Superheroes, comic books, movies, and video games of all kind were represented over the three day extraveganza that was Comic Con.

Unfortunately, like every year since I’ve started my slight nerd obsession, I was unable to attend Comic Con. I was busy with my religious holiday over its first two days, and had too much work to attend on Sunday. My brother however did make it for Sunday’s festivities. When asked to comment, he said, “It was one of the awesomest things I have ever done.” While perhaps not the most grammatically correct statement, it certainly fits.

Some of the many uniquely dressed attendees of Comic Con

Some may argue that comics are not a true form of art. I would like to remind those people that the graphic novel Watchmen is on time magazines list of the top 100 novels of since 1923. The comic book is just as valid a medium as a painting or a book. It is a different way of presenting an idea or story, which, like any medium, has it’s strengths and weaknesses. Just like I can’t imagine a comic book version of shakespearean plays, I can’t imagine a quality Superman story in typical novel form (I have read the Death of Superman novel. It just wasn’t nearly as compelling as the comic.) In the case of Watchmen, the visuals added an amazing amount of depth to an already incredible plot. One entire chapter is written with the second half directly mirroring the structure and art styles of its corresponding panels. None of that could have been possible in a standard book format.

Pop culture has been taking from comic books for years. No one can forget the old Batman TV show or the old Superfriends cartoon. Superhero films are currently some of the most highly successful films out there and that trend seems to be continuing for the time being. My hope is that one day, people will stop feeling the need to steal from comic books and appreciate the format itself for its unique abilities and wonderful potential. Until then, there will always be Comic Con.

2 thoughts on “New York Comic Con

1. Sounds like the Comic Con needs a Jewish observance sub committee. Unfortunately these shows tend to be seasonal and show up at the same time each year. One of your colleagues posted about a Comic Museum. Have you been there? click here

2. I have to agree with Yossi that comic books have long been an underrated art form.
    Many critics of comic books say that they “rot your brain”. To quote one of my elementary school teachers, “anything that gets kids to read is worth reading”
    The art in the comic books are also exquisitely done, with some of the best animators in the world working on the television series that have followed. To say that comic books do not have depth is another fallacy. For instance, the Justice League series explored incredibly complex topics, such as nuclear disarmament, totalitarian governments, time travel theories, and the Nazi occupation of Europe. The list of topics continues endlessly. Comics explore just as many relevant subjects as any other art form.Much like most art forms, the magic of a comic book cannot be encapsulated in another medium. The recent failure of the movie The Green Lantern in the box office displays this. Comic books have gotten a bad rap from critics, when in reality they may be one of the most popular forms of art in the world, and have inspired countless children to not only read, but to also explore their creative artistic sides. Comic books have been around for over a century, and their popularity doesn’t seem to be waning anytime soon. I’m sure there will be many more superhero movies, animated series, and conventions for years to come.