The Art of Letting Go

“‘Singers are a little bit more careful now,’ he said. ‘I don’t know why. Maybe they fear reactions. Maybe they fear someone will say, “This is too much.” You have to forget everything about it not being beautiful enough and just do it…You have to forget yourself. I don’t lose control when I conduct, but I try to get into the scene and into the moment, into the action. I try to really let go, so it’s no more about technique or dictating, it’s about letting it happen.’” – from the New York Times article “‘Giovanni’ as Snapshot of a New Met.”

Even though we read this article a few weeks ago, this portion really inspires me because it can easily be applied to so much more than the creation of opera.  (I wonder if Mr. Luisi realizes that).  Although the concept is pretty abstract, this quotation applies to living artfully, as well.  A lot of times, we tend to refrain from doing things or pursuing certain dreams because, deep down, we are afraid of others’ reactions; but, according to Mr. Luisi, we simply have to let that go.

Just before this section of the article, the reporter says that Mr. Luisi believes that “there is a fine line between thorough rehearsing and overpreparation.”  Sometimes in life, we think we need to keep preparing for a certain opportunity when, really, we just need to step out and act, irregardless of what others may say.  What would happen if every actor and singer in the opera felt this tremendous pressure to always have everything perfect before performing in front of an audience?  Would they actually ever end up performing, or would they always be rehearsing?  As long as we put our best into what we are doing, the opinions of others should not weigh so heavily on us. Que será, será.

One thought on “The Art of Letting Go

1. I agree that it is a fine line, but there can also be a fear of underpreparation. Once the part is thoroughly prepared and rehearsed, then and only then are you ready to really give something of yourself to it. At that point, you can let go and “live in the moment.” Living in the moment without sufficient preparation is a recipe for disaster. In a production as complex as an opera (35 musicians in the pit, another 15 on stage, light cues, costumes, stage machinery) the room for “on the spot” changes and variations is minimal. But if the performance is completely rigid, it is dead. Of course, the point about not worrying about the opinion of others, is very well taken. We all need the courage of our own convictions!