Let’s Create

In a somewhat awkwardly pieced article, I was informed that MoMA will be holding a new exhibit as it embraces some new approaches to exhibition techniques.  First, Rirkrit Tiravanija, an Argentine artist, will be opening a meal exhibit in MoMA where free vegetarian curry dishes will be offered to the museum’s visitors.  This exhibit is a little different from its introductory one in the early 90s because, instead of preparing food in front of museum-goers (and thus violating safety regulations), Tiravanijia has agreed to have MoMA’s kitchen crew craft the dishes.  Despite this, the motivating factor behind both the original and current installations remains the same.  According to one of MoMA’s chief curators, “…it’s the act of doing things together, where you, the viewer, can be part of the experience.”

I find this particularly interesting because there is an enormous difference between viewing art and experiencing art– just because you have experienced art does not mean that you have engaged in it, which was the concept conveyed at one of Macaulay’s Meet the Artist events.  Even while attending various concerts with our class, I have noticed that my attention diverts from the musicians or dancers on stage and the music being created because the nature of these events permits spectating, rather than engagement.  Granted, this point can be argued based on safety and other points; however, I personally prefer to take part in the creation process.  Creating becomes a part of you once you truly engage yourself in it, sucking you into its grip.

Is there a time for spectating?  Yes, I believe so.  But spectating should lead us to creating and offering opportunities for others to engage with us.  In one sense, spectating is book knowledge, and creating is “street cred.”  As we continue learning though the experience of others and ourselves, we should also be implementing the knowledge that we have already gathered.  It is this constant, simultaneous cycle of learning and implementing.  When we do this, we can create art that moves and breathes and carries a legacy.  Maybe it is more like the art of storytelling.  Either way, Iet’s remember the words of Henry Cloud, a renowned speaker and psychologist, “Every breath goes somewhere.”  Let’s make it all count.

One thought on “Let’s Create

1. I completely agree that the best way to really experience an art form is to participat directly in it. Watching (spectating, as you say) is nice, and watching a live performance is better than viewing on line (eating is more fun than reading about food, no?) but being a spectator is a good way to develop knowledge and provide yourself with a frame of reference for eventually participating. We actually have several performance groups that are open to non-majors: the Choral Society is made up primarily of amateur singers, and we have a Balinese Gamelan Ensemble which provides a unique and fascinating performance experience.