Artist Uses Comic Book as an Outlet for Her Life Experience and Emotions

This article that I found in the New York Times describes Leironica Hawkins, a woman who lives in a homeless shelter who was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, and her interesting story of how she uses art as a form of escapism and used it as a form of expression. She lived a hard life with social problems, sensory issues, periods of depression, involuntary twitching, and didn’t know what was wrong with her until she was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome and placed in a New York City shelter in harsh conditions because she could not support herself. The routine she found most satisfying was to walk around New York from early in the morning until the 10 pm curfew of the shelter and check out art museums and other art venues, the only form of escape from the harsh reality of living in the shelter (another connection between homelessness and the arts!) and the terrible disease that continues to plague her. Her favorite places include the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the New York Public Library on 46th Street between Lexington and Third Avenues.

Recently, she saw that the Library was looking for art to display. Hawkins had a talent for drawing that she discovered early on, and decided to take a crack at getting her artwork displayed. She worked tireless hours in her shower in the shelter drawing and sweating over her piece, but in the end, it all paid off. She made a comic book using characters that all had Asperger’s Syndrome and were based on her experiences of the hardships she went through. The Public Library ended up posting the artwork and it is on display until December 30th.

This article is an excellent example of how art can be used as a form of expression, not just in the artistic sense, but also in expressing life experiences and challenges. Art is also a great way to escape life for a little bit. I must admit that whenever we went to an arts event this year (especially the interesting ones), I tended to forget about the outside world and focus on the art at hand. If you’re looking for a healthy and legal way to escape life for a bit, why not turn to art?

2 thoughts on “Artist Uses Comic Book as an Outlet for Her Life Experience and Emotions

1. I’m taking psychology this semester and I am very interested in how does art affect our mind and brain, as well as how are our mind and thoughts reflected in the art work we complete. What Ms.Hawkins draw may reflect what she is thinking of. I feel empathetic for her illness, but at the same time I feel happy for her because she find her calmness in creating her own art. I have always heard that art could be used as ay to cure the patient because as the patient express their thoughts and release anxiety through the process of doing art, they get relieved and relaxed; or it is also a way to distract the patients’ attention from their distorted thoughts. I am also proud of Ms.Hawkins because she is so positive toward her disability and try hard to achieve her dream of making her own art work. I associate this post with Monika’s post “What Music Can Do For you”. In her post, she mentions the music therapy for patients who have psychological disorders. Music always has magic power on affecting people’s mind, emotion and thoughts. I also agree with you that it is a better way to release your emotion, anger or sadness, through artistic work, like singing, drawing, or writing, than to hurt yourself, or even worse, hurt others.

2. When I read this blog, I immediately thought of Frida Kahlo, because her art has famously reflected her life and the pain that she has had to endure in it. When she was only six years old, she developed polio which caused her right leg to be permanently smaller than the other. Later in her life she was involved in a bus and car accident which left her in a full body cast for three months. As a result she has relapses of continuous pain throughout her entire life. She suffered miscarriages and operations. Her pain, though, in many ways, was her paintings– her art. She inspired people through it as well.

While Kahlo’s art is a much more negative reflection of her pain, it is still a means of expression as well as an outlet. Art is undeniably important as an outlet, and I have an overflowing amount of respect for Hawkins because I know she is touching other lives through her art just like Kahlo.