“Lego-Bending”

While perusing Facebook, I came across an interesting link on a friend’s wall to this blog and Discovery News article about Lego brick bending, discovered and refined by Jeff Sanders while playing with Legos with his daughter. Sanders discovered that the old-time Lego bricks were somewhat flexible and could be reshaped into various geometric structures. Over time, he has made several artistic pieces of various shapes and colors. His most recent creation is a Lego sunflower.

Lego has always been a classic form of children’s art, but unfortunately does not quite seem as popular a toy and form of art as it once used to be thanks in good part to the fact that it is not “technologically advanced” enough. However, this is a prime example of modern art – some guy comes along with a brand new idea and it becomes popular (maybe not quite MoMA material, but maybe one day). The concept also requires a basic knowledge of geometry, so when people (kids or adults) create these masterpieces, it is an educational experience as well. Modern art is not limited to de Kooning’s blobs and streaks, or a guy giving out candy; it can even be normal things and normal artistic material, but with a novel “twist” (pun intended).

2 thoughts on ““Lego-Bending”

1. This artist challenges the question we’ve been asking all semester… what is art? I believe that this falls under the category of what art is because it requires thought, process, and creativity. It may lean towards being a mathematical creation but who said math cant be art? Math is found all throughout the art world. Geometric shapes, lines of perspective, and other aspects are exhibited in many art pieces such as:
    http://mterp04.edublogs.org/files/2010/10/mondrian-xisqna.jpg It is a simple collection of shapes and yet it excites its viewers. Who knew math could be exciting? Oh yeah, I did!

2. Wow lego-bending?! I must admit, this is actually very cool. Lego was one of my all-time favorite toys growing up. My siblings and I collected what must have been thousands of lego pieces. Whenever we got a new set, the first thing we did was promptly throw away the directions. The fun of lego is using your creativity to build something uniquely yours. And this guy takes that to an extreme level–this type of thing is DEFINITELY not in the directions. I guess building with lego IS a type of art. I mean, if sculpting with clay or stone is considered art, why not with tiny plastic bricks? Really, lego is one of the best toys in existence, because it allows for so much creativity, as this article demonstrates.