Tchaikovsky in New York

When Tchaikovsky traveled to America in 1891 he composed one of his works at Carnegie Hall’s opening concert and has ever since been commemorated as a “founding father” of the hall. In celebration of the 120th anniversary, yes, it is THAT long time ago, of that opening, a city wide festival lauding the ingenious composer was organized last May by the hall, dubbed “Tchaikovsky in St. Petersburg.” The commemoration continues on October 5th, featuring music, ballet, exhibits, and a panel discussions focusing on New York musical culture at the turn of the 20th century. The odd thing is that even though New York City is indeed a center of arts from all over the world, as evident in the expected presence in the show of St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky orchestras and the effervescent Valery Gergiev, the representative of a New-York-City-inspired classical performance is deprived in an New-York-City-based festival. Let’s hope cellist Yo-Yo Ma be ready to fill the void of american under-representation.

8 thoughts on “Tchaikovsky in New York

1. I find it weird that a New York musical culture festival contains so much influence from Tchaikovsky. Yet, since New York is such a diverse place that shelters several cultures, did we really have our own musical culture (at the turn of the 20th century)?

2. In response to Kenny’s comment I think that the greatest thing about American musical culture and any section of American culture is a combinations of styles and ideas from all over the world. It’s unique through being in parts similar to everywhere else.

3. Quan,

I had no clue that Tchaikovsky had such a great impact on New York’s musical culture. Prior to reading this, I wasn’t even aware of who Tchaikovsky was. Where did you obtain your information?

4. It’s amazing to see that even after 120 years you can still have a huge impact on the world. I really never knew the impact Tchaikovsky had on us.