Blurring the Line Between Food and Talk

In her New York Times article, Daytime’s Talking Heads Are Now Eating Too, Alessandra Stanley reviews the new daytime talk-show “The Chew.” It is a new food related talk-show that premiered on ABC. The show features world renowned chef Mario Batalli, vegetarian author Daphne Oz, Top Chef winner Carla Hall, Food Network Star winner Michael Symon, and co-host of What Not To Wear Clinton Kelly. The show’s interesting dynamic comes from the unique personalities of the hosts and the styles that they bring to the show. The Chew takes its name from the wildly popular talk-show The View to show viewers that it will be just as upbeat and lively but on the topic of food. During the show one of the hosts will prepare a dish and discuss it with the others. This brings a much needed and refreshing change to the static shows where the chef talks to the camera.

Stanley does a great job reviewing the show. She discusses the premise of the show and gives descriptions of all of the hosts. She also brings in other shows to give examples of what to expect. She adds quotes from the host’s playful banter to give the reader a sense of what the mood of the show is like. At some times her examples may stray a little too far away from the topic but it doesn’t take away from the rest of the article. I found her review nicely written and interesting and I might just tune in to The Chew one of these days.

4 thoughts on “Blurring the Line Between Food and Talk

1. Im not such a big fan of food channels but after reading a review like that I definitely would check it out. Stanley definitely does an awesome job reviewing his new show.

2. I’ve always enjoy Food Network and has been religiously following chef Mario Batalli on his own show and on Iron Chef. The chew will be a great mean to broaden my gastronomic horizon.

3. I will have to read the review. But regardless of what it says, I have already tuned into the Chew and it is pretty bad, so don’t waste your time. I even tried to give it a second chance this week, and I couldn’t stand to watch more than about 20 minutes before I had to turn off the t.v. Also, while I loved Carla on Top Chef, she was the runner up, not the winner.