StarDate

In Day After Day, Her Voice Takes Listeners to the Stars, Sandy Wood tells us the story of her success through following her dreams. Wood is the voice behind “StarDate”, a popular radio talk show about astronomy that is listened by 2.2 million people around the country. She was just a young girl when her father took her on a trip to go stargazing. Wood has no educational background in astronomy, but yet she has a hit radio show that allows her to do what she loves-speaking about the stars and space. She speaks about “newly discovered quasars and best places to watch a meteor shower” and people are just entranced by her soothing voice.

This goes to show that the saying “follow your dreams” doesn’t always end badly. People usually have the notion that if you follow your crazy dreams, you won’t always be successful and that you should just do what you’re good at. Even though her shows are scripted by a man named Damond Benningfield, Wood (who calls herself a “science addict”) still finds a way to live her life how she wants it. In a field where book-smarts are needed, Wood was still able to find herself a job she is happy with. I know this whole paragraph may seem full of cliches but I personally find this story very inspirational. We should all be more like Ms. Wood!

4 thoughts on “StarDate

1. I totally agree. I , myself have given up a few of my dreams in the quest of finding a well paying profession. This story really makes me question; is it all worth it?

2. I really like stories about people succeeding in following their dreams. Like Anna said, it’s very inspirational. If you don’t try, how can you get what you want? The story of Sandy Wood shows that sometimes you can achieve if you try.

3. I wish I could follow my dreams and become successful… not that I know what my dream is yet. Haha. On a more serious note, it is pretty difficult to do what you love and be successful at the same time. Although the idea cannot be ruled out completely, the chances are slim and significantly more dangerous.

4. The fact that she hasn’t studied astronomy is quite astounding to me. In today’s world a college degree is everything, and just getting one doesn’t put you above most people because a lot of people have B.A.’s now. However, stories like this are truly inspirational. When someone has the drive to focus on a single thing as if nothing else matters, they deserve the success they achieve.