Upside Down

A unique type of museum viewing experience can be seen at the “Carsten Höller: Experience.” It involves the guests wearing goggles that flip their vision upside down. Karen Rosenberg talks about her experience at the museum in Where Visitors Take the Plunge, or Plunges. The weird thing is, you need to sign a waiver before going in.

She gives a slight background on the artist. She explains that there are certain requirements for the exhibit. You have to be a certain size and cannot have heart problems. She says her experience was quite unsettling not being used to seeing the forms of at that way. She begins to climb up the floors and even enters a spa like exhibit filled with Epson salt. The final exhibit was a slide down to the first floor. At first Rosenberg didn’t want to go on it. However, she was a reviewer and how could she review and art piece without experiencing it? She says that the exhibit was quite interesting and it provides an experience that some people look for.

I think this type of art is extremely fascinating. The thought of wearing the upside down goggles makes me think of all the crazy possibilities the museum can offer. The great thing about this is how art is changing in a different way. Nobody in the past would have thought of slides and a pool of water being considered art. However, I feel that these new kinds of art really defines what art is. Art is something that anybody can appreciate and this kind of art, especially ones where you can interact with, definitely take the pedestal for me. I would love to be able to interact with such modern types of art.