Memoirs

For this research journal, I had a conversation with my advisor on how my research topic. She raised interesting questions, as were also mentioned in the comments of my topic proposal. Some of them were: how do you define French people? How strange is it that the world we live in today is so torn from reality that we create these ideal images of places and believe them? Specifically, how Francophiles create an image of a romantic France/Paris that is so ignorant of the realities of the country/city.

In relation to that, I have been researching memoirs. I began my research by looking at memoirs of Americans moving to France. There is much more literature in this direction, possibly because of cultural differences (Americans might have more of a tendency to move to a place and then talk about their lives). This will at least help me in analyzing how to draw narratives out of the people I will interview in the future. At the same time, it will also help me learn more about the Francophilia that is rampant in the U.S. and specifically in NYC.

However, earlier today, I managed to stumble upon a reading list of the French in New York! Finally! It has been difficult for me to find this information. I am currently in the process of getting my membership to the French Institute: Alliance Française. After my membership is completed, I will be able to attend their events and peruse their library for research purposes.

I will report back on the readings that I do.