Open Letter Draft

Dear Subway Surfers-

I’ve seen you on the train ever since I was a little kid and I was always in awe, asking my mother for money so that I could give to you all, people who I thought were so talented. However, now that I’m older I’ve begun to realize a couple of things that I think you all should consider.

What you all do is dangerous, not only to yourselves, but to your audience as well. I’m sure you all have been on a train that either jolted or stopped suddenly. No one knows why it’s going to happen, or when. But when it inevitably does, I think that you would all be safest with both your feet firmly planted on the train floor. In addition to your safety, there are safety considerations you need to consider. Everybody else on the train paid their $2.75, and they’re not making any doing what you all do. In general, people use the transportation system for transportation, and not much else.

Here’s what I propose for all of you: find somewhere else to show off your talents. What you all do is something that I find special to New York, and I am by no means trying to shut you all down completely. I simply feel that what you all do deserves a greater audience, less traffic (and therefore disaster) in your space, and a more spacious and less dangerous stage. The D (or any train) is really not an ideal place for you al to perform. People find plenty of space in parks and occasionally even streets in which to perform uninterrupted, with a better audience.

Thank you.

-Frank Gutierrez