A Clandestine Community Revealed: The Secret Subculture of Greenwich Village

By: Jake Thomas Perez

Prior to World War II, the Village was robust and thriving with interesting people. Digging deeper into the subcultures of the 1950s, it is revealed the gay village has been developing all along.

The War provided a new social terrain for homosexuals to interact with one another. After the war, however, where did they settle? Greenwich Village. The Village has been considered a welcoming community of all people. Additionally, New York City provides the availability of anonymity, which was utilized by the gays in the 1950s.

The 1950s began the birth of this secret subculture. The people involved with this “gay village” developed a secret set of moral codes, language, and meeting places where they could operate in private.

The gay sub culture flourished furtively within the confines of the village. Establishments were created in which gays and lesbians of the village could frequent without worrying about maintaining a heterosexual facade.

Greenwich Village was maintained as a safe haven for homosexuals of New York City. Today, many well known “gay friendly” institutions still exist and function in the Village. The next time you are around, be sure to visit some of these locations!

One thought on “A Clandestine Community Revealed: The Secret Subculture of Greenwich Village

1. Hello,

My name is Katerin Riascos and I am interested in visiting. I am doing a research paper on a subculture, and was wondering if i could take a look because I am interested. Can you please email me the location and time of the meeting(s)? Thank You.

Sincerely,
    Katerin