12091409_779445958831435_3790556719456269708_o

I happened to be by the World Trade Center on the 11th and ended up visiting the Irish Hunger Memorial. I’m the kind of person that loves city vibes but also really appreciates nature (without all the bugs). I’m especially interested in how cities maintain nature beside all the skyscrapers and buildings. When I got to the top of the Memorial, I looked out toward the water and saw this view. I loved how there was a mix of nature–rocks and trees–and the city skyline–in this case the NJ skyline. I think it’s such an interesting balance, and I wanted to capture the importance of nature, so I made the rocks in focus, while the skyline is out of focus.

When I took this picture, I was aware of focus–as I said above, I focused the camera on the rocks rather than the skyline–and the Rule of Thirds. In the top third, I captured the NJ skyline. In the bottom third, I photographed the rocks. And the middle portion was filled in by park/run path. This allows for the focus of the viewer to be drawn to the rocks and to the skyline above, while not leaving any section of the photo blank.

Jessica S