12167007_10207898083749302_1301023434_n

On Snapshot Day I found myself walking through a shortcut in my neighborhood. After living almost two months in the dorms, I really came to appreciate how New York City is a mix of busy and quiet places. This shortcut is a tunnel under a railroad for the LIRR which made me think of that mix of busy and quiet. It is also a place that I have always walked through, usually rushing to some other place. The girl who was briskly walking to the tunnel is under the word in graffiti “HER” and caused me to remember those many times. Looking at the picture afterwards, I also find the graffiti “HER” to emphasize how everyone has their own story. In essence, this picture allowed me to present everything I think of to make up New York City.

When I took this picture, I focused on the positioning and on using the rule of thirds. I wanted to have the girl entering the tunnel to stand out while being near the word “HER,” so I positioned her on the imaginary line on the right. In addition, I tried to have the top of the tunnel fall on the imaginary line on the top. I left room in front of the girl such that there is a sense of motion for her. I also took the picture from a side angle instead of straight on in order to make it more interesting.