What We Feel and What We Mean

Seminar Video by Christina Oros

Hello All–

This is the video I made for the seminar class! I hope you enjoy it and I can’t wait to meet everyone in class this semester!!

Thanks!

1 Joseph Ugoretz { 09.05.11 at 7:21 pm }

It sounds like those ideas–seeing the world in a whole new light–people being present but not fully there–truly living life every minute of it…might be important ones to revisit. Maybe there are some keys there, in those ideas from that one monologue, to what we’re looking for in this class. Let’s keep them in mind!

2 sari { 09.07.11 at 4:02 am }

Our Town by Thornton Wilder is one of my favorite plays because it imparts such a powerful message. I, too, played Emily when my 12th grade English class performed the play and I remember feeling like I wasn’t prepared emotionally to give Emily’s impassioned monologue. She addresses such a poignant lacking in people everywhere, this inability to fully seize the moments which we have. I especially love the way Wilder constructs “the town” to be as generic as possible- it could be any town, mine, yours….
To live in the moment is a universal concept which is very strongly tied to appreciating the arts. I’ll sometimes find myself taking a walk, so wrapped up in so many thoughts that I’ll have missed many a beautiful scenery. Or I’ll see people at museums, drifting from exhibit to exhibit, uninvolved and uninterested, texting, tweeting, e-mailing, and talking… It seems as if people will never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
Christina- it sounds like you’re really good at living in the moment; I really admire the way you were dedicated to being in Macaulay from your freshman year. That sort of dedication has a lot to do with living life- “every minute of it”.