What We Feel and What We Mean

Joey Kabariti’s Video

Hey, this is my video.

I am not that great at making videos, and it’s not as easy to open up about this topic. As well, PhotoBooth kept crashing for me, but I finally got it done and ready for posting.

I am, in the loosest definition of the term singer, an amateur singer (at best).

I hope that you guys enjoy it.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely Yours,

Joey Kabariti

1 Victoria Tang { 09.08.11 at 3:57 am }

I am very interested in what you said about the tunes that you use to write the prayers. The word that you used, how is it spelled? I would love to learn more about it. But besides that, I am also interested in the fact that you were introduced to a new way of expression by singing at your local synagogue. And that by singing there, you learned to appreciate many kinds of music. I have that in common with you. Singing in my school’s chorus opened a whole new world of music to me and from it, I too developed a greater appreciation. Music inspires me as well. Like you, it relieves my stress and helps me express myself. Music, and singing, has an almost magical way of doing that.

2 joeykabariti { 09.08.11 at 3:03 pm }

The word is Maqam. Here is a link to wikipedia, which has really comprehensive research: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_maqam
It is an interesting tuning system, and is mainly used for the reading of the Qur’an and singing in Arabic. Being of Middle-Eastern descent (my parents were born and grew up in Damascus, Syria), I have more access than most people in my community to older and more influential tunes than the music today. Modern Arabic music has been influenced greatly by western music, and is not considered as high quality as it once was. The great Scholars and Sages of the Jewish Community in Syria, Lebanon, Beirut, Baghdad, etc., created such an amazing way of connecting tune to prayer, and truly making the prayer come alive. That is why I love it so much, and that is why i relate to music so much. (It is also why I get annoyed at the music videos and other music styles that incorporate unclean, racist, or downright immoral things into their style. I frown down upon those things because they detract from the sophistication and class of music as a whole.)
But, as we said in class, while I might not consider art, I can appreciate that certain people will consider it art, and I will not judge them from their taste. They have free-will, and their opinions, and they are entitled to it. If you like that type of music, it doesn’t make you a bad person in my eyes.

Joey Kabariti

3 Sandman Zachary { 09.18.11 at 10:22 pm }

Sir,
I really enjoyed your video. I found that it very clearly conveyed your reasons for choosing Macaulay in the five steps. I especially liked when you highlighted that Macaulay’s reputation is steadily growing–that’s something that I also find very compelling about Macaulay.