What We Feel and What We Mean

A Moment In Time…

In order to fully grasp what I am trying to capture, you must first imagine yourself on a rooftop during the dead of night when no lights illuminate the streets but the twinkling stars and the bountiful, gazing moon. Next, I want you to remember your best friend, the one person to whom you can be yourself around. I mean your true self, not the front that we put in public for conformity. Now, click play so that the song may start.

This is “Clair De Lune,” originally composed and performed by Debussy, but, in this rendition, the song is performed according to the stylings of the APM Orchestra.

A few years back, my best friend and I went to the rooftop of a building in Ireland during a school trip. It was the dead of night, and the two of us were just completely awestruck by the beauty of the night. Then, we decided just to add a bit more to the ambiance by playing “Clair de Lune.” Admittedly, we giggled quite a lot for it felt like a scene in a movie. Then, we just talked. And, it was not just a simple conversation. No, my friends. We delved deep into what troubled us the most in life, what our goals and plans were, and what was to become our future. Frankly, I must say that we most definitely were surprised at the fact that we could both be so open to one another. That was the first time in my life that has ever happened. And, what makes this even more bittersweet is that I have hardly seen her for about two years.

So, my friends, I am not trying to capture the picturesque landscape in which we were in, nor the music that constituted as our background.What I am trying to convey here is the beauty of our moment. The moment we had together, letting our thoughts intertwine. We could have done this anywhere: a park, the beach, a mall or even a pink berry. So, one does not really need to do my instructions in the beginning for this to happen. The point is that my friend and I had a beautiful moment together in which we could just be us. And, honestly, that was one of the most significant, beautiful and touching moments of my life: the moment of just being who I am.

– Maryam Esperanza F. Razaz

1 Joseph Kabariti { 09.20.11 at 12:59 am }

No wonder you felt at ease talking to her about your innermost thoughts, it is such a calming and innocent song. It brings out the beauty in music. As more of a classical music lover, this song appealed to me greatly. It brought out something of a calmness within me. I felt happy and lucid. My thoughts were flowing and natural. Everything about me was calm. There is something about the repetition of the waves that goes around in a cycle almost. It loses something when put into words, but I definitely love the song. It truly is beautiful because it feels natural, and natural is a part of life. Life is beautiful.

Joey Kabariti

2 Joseph Kabariti { 09.20.11 at 1:05 am }

Sorry. I’m usually very clear with my thoughts. I am not usually at a loss for words like that.
Correction: There is something about the repetition of the waves that goes around in some kind of a cycle.

Joey Kabariti