What We Feel and What We Mean

My NYC/ Meet the Artist “Clinton Curtis”

First of all, I must thank Professor Ugoretz for urging me to rsvp for this Meet the Artist session. I was hesitant at first, but soon realized that the earlier I get over with it, the better.

I must also apologize, because, while it may seem that I am trying to kill two figurative birds with one stone, I could not post one without the other. After that session, I truly felt the connection between Clinton Curtis’s music and my feelings towards NYC. Therefore, I do hope to post again about Clinton Curtis, but for now, I hope this suffices.

Unfortunately, the way there was riddled with boredom; as I was busy beforehand, I did not have a chance to prepare something to challenge my mind during the trip. Luckily, I prepared myself a personal brain-teaser: figure out where I’m going as I improvised my route and so caused myself to get lost. I appreciate the fact that because I got lost, I stumbled upon a small art gallery hidden within the train station. As we were passing in between stations I glanced upon the walls to find little slits which opened up to a huge gallery of different pictures and shapes, all of which were flashing before my eyes as my only point of view was through slits. It was beautiful, and yet flashing, lingering for less than a second before disappearing from both my sight and my mind.

And then I arrived at my stop, got off and arrived at the Macaulay Building 10 minutes late.

During the talk, Clinton Curtis frequently revisited his childhood, his past experiences, and his excitement about living in NY. As he started his first song, I started to get a feel for what he was talking about. His view on music in NY clarified so much about the city. He truly made me feel different about the music. And his music changed me as well. It was blues/reggae/western/country/a whole lot more, but it made sense! I truly enjoyed it.

The music he played really exemplified NY, at least for me. The highs and the lows, the quickening of the pace to the slowing down at other times.

Just listen to the media file attached! His song, Best You Can, really makes you feel what he feels, and really portrays the world (he said that he wrote this song in response to John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change”, which he felt was the worst song because it symbolized passivity instead of activity.) And it is also what NY is about: being active, doing the best you can do and being the best you can be. That is what NY is for me.

It is, quite simply, a huge honor for me to live in NYC, and I love it here. The atmosphere is amazing, and it keeps you on task, towards your goal of becoming the best you possibly can. The rush that you feel here is the rush of keeping your objectives and your priorities intact and keeping yourself on the right path to success. Clinton Curtis mentioned that NY is the hardest place to stand out, but if you do, it is the most rewarding. NY is, for me, the perfect place to become the best I possibly can, and as long as I have this blessing with me, I know I will strive for that perfect version of me.

Joey Kabariti

**Update: I added the youtube video so that everybody can see what I mean.**

1 Joseph Ugoretz { 11.16.11 at 11:17 pm }

I think you saw the Masstransiscope! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/arts/design/01zoet.html . (There’s a video there, too). I’ve always loved that.

2 Joseph Kabariti { 11.17.11 at 12:13 am }

Yes, I know. It looks awesome. I’ve never noticed it until now, so I consider myself lucky that I decided to go in the end. I got a few different amazing NY-related experiences out of it.

Joey Kabariti