What We Feel and What We Mean

My NYC

Many things come to mind when I think of New York City, but to me the best way to describe NYC is “the city that never sleeps.” The city is always crowded, whether it is lunchtime or 4 am. People are constantly bustling around, and I think that this is part of the beauty of NYC. No matter what time it is, there are always large crowds of diverse people on the streets. Department stores are open until all hours of the night. There is always something fun and exciting to do in NYC because of the endless possibilities that exist there. The fast-paced lifestyle in Manhattan is something that I’ve grown accustomed to because I’ve been exposed to it since I was young. I think that the city shapes our attitude towards life. The hustle and bustle of NYC makes our lives more fast paced, and we are constantly on the go, trying to get our errands done as quickly as possible. Although I don’t live in Manhattan, I still consider myself a New Yorker for two reasons. Firstly, because I am very familiar with the streets of NYC. Ever since I was young I would go to Manhattan at least once a week with my mother, so I’m pretty experienced when it comes to getting around the city. The second reason that I consider myself a New Yorker is because I too have the “New York attitude.” I like to be efficient, and when things don’t run smoothly I get upset. To me, living in New York is a privilege, because not everyone is lucky enough to live in the state that hosts the Big Apple City.

1 Emibee Wong <3 { 11.29.11 at 9:15 am }

Hi Danielle, so I was just wondering, do you live in Brooklyn? I don’t live in Manhattan as well (in Brooklyn) but I still have a very similar perspective of New York as you. I believe that to be a New Yorker, one doesn’t necessarily have to be indulged in the city 24/7, but just knowing the essence of what NYC uniquely offers is a good qualification. “The hustle and bustle” that we experience is truly an experience that is difficult to find anywhere else.

2 dfrastai { 12.14.11 at 3:03 am }

Hi,
I didn’t see your comment until now, sorry! I live in Brooklyn too and I consider it like an extension of NYC because it has some of the characteristics of the city, yet it is also a lot less busy. We basically get the best of both worlds here in Brooklyn.

3 Emibee Wong <3 { 12.24.11 at 7:18 am }

I just saw your comment now too! >.< But cool, where in Brooklyn do you live? And yeah I agree, you get parts of every borough in Brooklyn! 🙂