What We Feel and What We Mean

“We met at the MET.”

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is undoubtedly the most famous museum in the city. Firstly, it’s huge. It’s incredible. Nobody can explore every crevice and cellar in one day; it could take a lifetime. What other institution in the city would have a reed river, a zen garden, a room designed by Marie Antoinette, a roman viewing room or a roof with a breathtaking view? That’s an easy question: no other institution but the MET.

Victoria, Connie and a few friends of mine went to the MET together on October 28, and it was a magnificent day. It was also the last day the roof was open to the public. So, of course, we needed to go visit that stunning exhibit.

We started the adventure roaming through Egyptian hieroglyphics and sarcophagi. Honestly, I’m not a big fan of Egyptian art. Ever since I watched Prince of Egypt, I have been uneasy around hieroglyphics. Their like my magic finger. To end our Egyptian segment, we stopped by the reed river near the pyramid’s ruins and took a breather.

We continued by browsing the American Art, the Roman Art, the French period rooms and the gothic cathedral. We were in a rush to make it to the roof where we were greeted by the unbelievable skyline of New York City. The pieces were gorgeous, too, but the real work of art was the city’s buildings and its general splendor. The sun hit every single skyscraper at the perfect angle. We would have stayed outside longer if the weather would have been more obliging.

When we returned inside, we went to the French art: the incredible art by van Gogh, Manet and Monet. Each of us interpreted a piece of impressionist art just because the brushstrokes made the paintings all seem a bit blurry and interpretational. But, my favorite painting ever is Le Printemps by Pierre Auguste-Cot. It’s so romantic. When I was a little girl, I used to always stop by that portrait and let my mind wander to the past and imagine how love really was like. Love, not like it is today with all its superficiality and material means. To me, that painting illustrates how love truly should be and feel like. Pure innocence and admiration in her eyes. The way their bodies curve to one another. That is something beautiful.

To end our cultural adventure, we went outside and enjoyed the bonne nuit with a bit of a wacky photoshoot. After looking and admiring paintings for a few hours, I think we deserved the chance to be the work of art.

1 comment

1 Joseph Ugoretz { 12.02.11 at 12:00 am }

What a great day that must have been! (And I certainly understand the Magic Finger reference, as you know! 🙂 )