What We Feel and What We Mean

Snapshot Day!

As I mentioned before, I went to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden on October 11th for Snapshot Day. This is the picture I decided to use for my photo. I chose this photo because I think most of us think of fast-paced crowds, lights and everything urban when we think of NYC. Of course we are one of the most urbanized cities in the world, however, I think we forget to take a look at the nature we have in the city.

When I went to the Macaulay building to see all of our photographs on display, I was really impressed. I thought the way the exhibits were set up were very unique and creative. My favorite part of the exhibit was the part where the curators put the photographs in little glasses filled with water. The lights along with it truly represented the winter season in NYC. I also liked the part where the mirrors reflected the photographs. My group and I actually incorporated the mirrors into our video by looking into them and saying that NYC is you. The curators did a great job.

One thing that I would change is perhaps have the students do a smaller project. I think most of us spent so much time on our videos that we did not get to fully appreciate the exhibits. However, I thought the exhibits and the photographs really reflected the hard work of everyone part of this event.

1 comment

1 Emibee Wong <3 { 12.21.11 at 4:15 pm }

What a beautiful photo! <3 I love the Brooklyn Botanical Garden too, and in fact, that's one of the places I mentioned in "My NYC" post. Amidst the busy metropolitan life that many associate with NYC, there is plenty of this kind of aesthetic beauty as well. Places like the Brooklyn Botanical Garden helps remind us that it is possible to appreciate natural beauty in a city where the menagerie of lights is often perceived as the main attraction.