What We Feel and What We Mean

Meet Sara

Hi! I made this video in collaboration with my little sister. It’s awkward. 🙂 Enjoy!

1 Joseph Ugoretz { 09.05.11 at 3:45 pm }

Thanks to the little sister! You’re also bringing out a couple of points that I think we’ll have to discuss more. What art means to the artist might not be at all the same as what it means to the audience. And also, sometimes our appreciation of art is directly linked to the appreciation of the work or effort or struggle of the artist. Doesn’t everyone who sees the Sistine Chapel ceiling think of Michelangelo lying on his back on a high scaffold? Does anyone not think of Beethoven’s deafness? We may see some work by some artists that will ask us to examine this point more closely.

2 Natasha { 09.08.11 at 1:38 am }

I don’t think it is conceited of you to be moved by your own artwork. I think that you, like me, appreciate the hard work and dedication that art sometimes requires of its artists. I feel like the memories brought on by looking at your painting (and not just the painting itself) are what are particularly moving—you remember all the blood, sweat and tears that you put into the painting. I particularly admire this aspect of art—that although there is a certain amount of sheer luck of inspiration, the majority of the finished product is the work that you put into it.

3 Aniqa Bari { 09.08.11 at 3:55 am }

I really find it interesting that you actually forced yourself to sit down and finish your work of art. It’s really impressive! I like how you have a strong connection to this piece, probably unlike any other because its your own. Only you know what thoughts went into your head, what inspired you, and how much hard work you put into it.

4 Christina Oros { 09.08.11 at 4:43 am }

Your creativity and dedication to your art is quite impressive. The time and effort you’ve put into the painting makes it exceptionally unique, and shows your strong commitment. Your art is inspiring to others, as well, because it demonstrates what one can do when they challenge themselves to achieve their best.

5 Sylvia { 09.08.11 at 1:48 pm }

I think that the dedication and determination that you put in to this painting is remarkable (especially because oil paints are tough, so good job!)
Iagree with Natasha, I think that art is has a lot to do with memory and association. When you look back at the painting and you remember all of the hard work you put into completing it, it is moving because of the emotion you experienced in creating it. I think that this also relevant to art through the medium of music; we all look back on a song that we love and associate it with the time or place we were when we heard it, and our memories allow us to appreciate it. I wonder if it’s relevant to other types of art!

6 maryamesperanza { 09.08.11 at 6:38 pm }

Firstly, this video is ingenious. You and your sister made such a unique, entertaining and beautiful video, especially with the use of your interviewer. I absolutely love that your most profound moment with art was with your own creation. Your dedication to finishing such a gorgeous piece is astounding! It’s clearly understandable how this piece would be your most profound moment with art because you worked on it and devoted so much time and effort into it. It’s you. You put yourself into it. It’s your own piece of life, so to speak, and I absolutely admire you and your piece of art. Also, I love the angle of the door jam because it feels like your actually looking down at jam (that is if you’re tall enough).