What We Feel and What We Mean

9/11 Memorial

Going to the memorial, I did not know what to expect. I did not see the memorial on TV and it has been almost five years since I have last visited and actually walked around the World Trade Center.

Honestly, I feel unconnected to 9/11. Even though I am a New Yorker, when the attacks happened, I was very young. I did not know what to make of it. Even now, although I am aware of what happened, aware of how terrible it was, and aware of how it affects my daily life, I still feel distant from the attacks. I feel sad for all who died and grateful to those who sacrificed their lives to save others. But as much of a tragedy as it is, I will never feel pained, just sad due to respect, because 9/11 did not affect me personally/directly. I did not know anyone who died from the attacks. And, with all due respect, that made my visit to the memorial feel quite impersonal.

Walking around the memorial, I noticed how shiny and impressive the buildings around looked. Although I am not much of a fan of urban buildings, they were still pretty amazing, the way they towered over me. I also noticed the soothing sounds of the waterfalls and the way the mist gently touched my face. I wondered how beautiful they would have looked at nighttime. And the water looked as if it was dancing as it fell along the walls, creating the illusion of a cityscape. And the names were well-placed. In reach, in sight, without strain.