Night at the Museum

Before visiting the museum on Wednesday night, I was nervous. I was thinking to myself that nothing could surmount to the amazingly beautiful works of art that I saw this summer in Rome and Florence by artists like Michelangelo and Raphael. I was imagining that I would never be able to feel such emotional connections to works of art again. On top of that, I was nervous that I wouldn’t even have the chance to try and feel some sort of connection to the art around me because I would be too busy conversing with my friends.

Turns out, I was completely wrong. The night at the museum was nothing I was expecting. I found a way to look inside myself and search for my own meanings inside the works of art. No, the painters were not Michelangelo or Raphael, and I was not standing inside the Vatican’s Sistine Chapel, or in front of the David statue in Florence, but I was in Brooklyn, in a museum, and I was enjoying every single work of art that I saw. I cannot name any specific work of art that was particularly my favorite, but the entire experience as a whole was very enjoyable. I loved creating my own interpretations to the paintings, as well as hearing what other people took from them.

The museum taught me to be open-minded when it comes to understanding and exploring works of art and that the painter doesn’t have to necessarily be worldly “famous” in order to speak to me and convey a specific message. I learned that every individual grasps different concepts and ideas from different art works and that’s why it is important to converse with people and try and understand their perceptions of art. Even though I’ve never been such a fond lover of museums, Wednesday night inspired me to educate myself more culturally in the world of art.