Macaulay’s “Night at the Museum”: The Power of Discussion

Macaulay’s “Night at the Museum” event was an extremely special and memorable experience. I have always considered art interesting and took AP Art History in high school. Although I enjoyed the class, I was disappointed that neither trips to art related events nor trips to art museums were ever organized. Consequently, I was especially excited by the idea that, for one night, the Brooklyn Museum was exclusively open for Macaulay students to collectively analyze and uncover the meaning of art.

Walking through the halls of the Brooklyn Museum, I was exhilarated by the wide range of art on display. Each time my group stopped to look at a work of art, we all made a huge effort to comprehend it. The discussions that arose from simply glancing at a work of art were intriguing. As we formed a human semicircle around the art and passed around a recorder, each person offered a unique perspective. I was also thrilled that we were able to build on each other’s views to form modified and more complex conclusions.

From the bright colors of the European paintings to the more dull colors of the Egyptian sarcophagi, the works of art in the Brooklyn Museum amazed me. I always believed that discussion between students is instrumental to learning, but I never before applied that notion to the analyzation of art. Currently, I would strongly suggest that anyone who genuinely wishes to have the most fulfilling experience possible at an art museum, or any other museum, ought to invite others to join him or her.