Gary Winograd photography

As I walked through Central Park to get to the MET, I couldn’t help but wonder. Have I ever been to the MET on a school trip? What does it look like? Are we even going the right away?
Then, I arrived. As I looked up at this building and I saw what a social scene it was, I was shocked. People were all gathered around just talking and having a good time outside the building. There was a lovely fountain that I enjoyed watching as I looked up a bit. So I realized this museum was actually a place I might return to. Maybe it wouldn’t just be a one-time-experience. Then, as I entered, I saw a poster that said Gary Winograd exhibit.
Well, I had photos of magazines that were being sold at the exhibit and of displays by the exhibit and of a few of my favorite photos, but they won’t upload. (uchhh)

Anyways, there was one photo (that I was supposed to place here) that we saw in class. It was really cool to see it up close and personal and be able to recognize it. I remember seeing that picture in class and thinking, “Anyone could take a picture of that. That shouldn’t make anyone famous.” At the exhibit, however, I realized that I was underestimating photography. There I was, just trying to take a photo of that photo, and it was a real struggle trying to find the right angle with the right lighting. And imagine having to do that in the moment when the real event is occurring? You can’t just have models stand there while you try time after time to get the picture right. There’s no 3 strikes and you’re out. You have one shot to get the right picture. And I’ll give credit where credit is due so props to Gary Winograd.

Another thing I really enjoyed was that he proved how natural these photos were. I don’t know if the photographer was aware of this but I highly think he was- he took two photos of a man and woman sitting on a table with the woman smoking. They were very similar photos, but their positions switched a bit and that’s how you know it wasn’t just posed. They’re not just in one typical position or doing anything special. It’s just a natural moment of a man and a woman and I really like how he was able to capture that.
Even though it was a little confusing for me as to where the exhibit began and ended at first, finding out which photos were Gary Winograd’s wasn’t a difficult task. He had a theme going for him and it comes to show that the little moments are what count most. Having photos of people’s every day lives shows how important every moment is and how people should never let time slip by. I had a great experience visiting this exhibit last Friday. It was a great bonding experience to have with the friend that I brought along with me that day. I realized that just taking selfies with your friends might not be such a difficult task, but finding the right moment to take a picture from the right angle which sends the right message, can be pretty challenging. It opened my eyes to what an art photography really is.