What a Day

After walking 20 blocks across town from the Macaulay building on Sunday, I finally arrived at the Met. Exhausted and out of breath I was not in the mood to walk up the  steps to the Gary Winograd photography exhibit (no offense). I am not such a photography person, so I wasn’t sure how I was going to react to the photos.

I immediately noticed that Gary does not name his pictures. I  didn’t really like this because I love to connect a title to a painting or picture. While looking at the pictures at the entrance of the exhibit I felt like I was in the movie The Great Gatsby. I loved seeing couples in their elegant evening wear smiling and dancing. It made me want to get dressed up and attend a formal dance.

I was  confused about the picture “Dallas”. I couldn’t figure out if the picture was taken in Dallas, or was titled Dallas because of the cowboy standing in the middle of the picture. But I have to say, I do like that Gary allows the viewer to interpret his pictures and name them. It allows a connection to be made between the photographer, the photograph, and the viewer.