American Ballet Theatre

It’s almost impossible for me to write this post considering I was speechless after walking out of Lincoln Center Theatre… It was simply perfect.  I had done ballet for about two or three years and seeing them on stage made me miss it so very much.  Dance would have to be one of my top three favorite forms of art.  I feel dance is something almost everyone can relate to.  Its something we do every day, whether we realize it or not, with body language; it’s all about inner expression through, the simple idea of, movement of the body.  I defiantly got that from the dancers at the performance the other night.

Ballet is known to be one of the more strict forms of dancing.  However, I still got a sense of emotion, passion, expression, and all the elusive characteristics art has to offer through the slightest movement of the dancers.  Though what I noticed the most was the placement of the head, over exaggerated character movement and the connection the dancers made with each other and the audience.

I remember after the first act turing around and talking to (who, if I remember correctly, was Norma) and saying how I felt the dancers were not completely in sync with one another.  She agreed and we found it a little strange.  But it was, without a doubt, made up for during the next two pieces; I was blown away completely.  While watching I was just amazed how communication was established.  There was a presence of bodies on stage and no words were spoken, yet almost everyone in that theatre was on some sort of elevated emotional level.  I of course admired the artistic genius behind the performance but was reminded constantly of the physical demands this art form demands.  It was beyond impressive to see the, almost super human, stamina, balance, and strength; all while being graceful, and seeming weightless, made it that much more impressive.  Leaving the theatre speechless, holding on to all the emotions that were given to me, somewhat as a gift, was something that I never want to forget.