Ballet

Watching people perform in the ballet made me question a force that has been present in all our lives since birth- and before birth, gravity. I found it amazing how they were able to create the illusion of levitation when I’m sure that they were all human. When I entered the auditorium, everything seemed extremely high-class. It felt as if whatever went on in the theatre would be something that only the rich and wealthy of America would watch. Even the slightest movements from a person that looked as if they earned less money than one of the upperclass would warrant an apparent gesture to stop breathing. The first act was what I was expecting for the whole ballet performance. I believed that it would be a set of performers who danced to soothing music and forced the people to forge a story of what was going on. But then the music helped immensely with the first act. The use of different chords and different structural composition assisted the emotions that were supposed to be experienced with each act. Everything fell into place.

The second act was completely different. The costumes weren’t the stereotypical ballet costumes that I was aware of. And the stage was most certainly not a blank wall that had nothing to do with the story. This time, the performers were dressed in garb that accurately depicted the type of people they were in the performance. It assisted with character development. By wearing certain types of clothing, it made it easier to figure out what each person was and how that helped determine what they were doing in the story. The set also helped. It gave a sense of eeriness that something has gone awry. And since it was set in the night, it was made easy to tell that something bad was happening.

The third act was something I wouldn’t have expected if the person to my right hadn’t told me that I would like the last act the best. Like the second act, the third one had a set and clothing that helped it immensely. The sailor outfits created a sense of playfulness that helped the story. It made it more enjoyable. The bar made it seem like everything was playful. There was nothing serious going on. And ANYTHING could happen. But no matter what happened, the story was supposed to be funny and enjoyable. I liked this act the best.