Carmen

After standing outside for a half hour in the freezing cold, worried that we weren’t going to get in on time, I was relieved to finally see Professor with our tickets. As we got the tickets literally five minutes before the show, adrenaline was rushing through my body. I was running up the stairs so fast to make the show. To me, that was a great start to the show. As I was running up the stairs to the top floor where our seats were, I was amazed by the beautiful building and excited to watch the opera.

Before going to the opera, like everyone else, I expected there to be a person standing in the middle of the stage alone, singing. I did not expect a whole performance and play. The minute the show started, the orchestra played a familiar song and I was immediately engrossed in the music.

I loved the setting of the opera and how everything was changed in between acts so quickly. As far as the opera goes, I think it was a little scandalous. Carmen was the star of the show who wanted the men and would do anything to mock Jose.

I didn’t mind that the language of the opera was not in english. I loved reading the subtitles on my screen and felt that it gave the viewer their own personal perspective and view on the show.  It was like reading a book. Although the setting and plot is the same for everyone, reading the subtitles is like reading a book and helped make it more personal to me.

Another part I loved about the opera was that there were children in the performance. It was so uplifting and refreshing to see kids performing at Lincoln Center. I was a little shocked though that they were performing so late. If I was tired, I could only imagine how the kids must feel!

Overall the opera was a great new experience for me! I enjoyed spending time with the class and watching a fun and cool opera. Hoping to go to another opera in the near future!