Carmen

Tuesday night at the opera left me with this feeling of electric energy. Carmen perplexed me the entire show with her seductive, cold, and nonchalant attitude, yet she was still able to put off feelings tenderness and care at the same time. Carmen was full of fire the entire show and I couldn’t wait in every scene to see what she was going to do next. Her seductive nature was first shown in the first scene in a very underrated way. She sang her first song while she was washing her legs where she lifted up her dress to show her body and when the men stared, she splashed them away. What was extremely shocking to me though was the seductiveness and sexuality played in the opera. As a watcher of many broadway plays, I was most definitely not used to characters in a live play being so “intimate,” but it was an eye opener and an experience. A main person who disappointed me in the opera was Don Jose, who at first showed characteristics of a timid solider who loved his mother and his city and who promised to marry Michaela, to a desperate, raging man.
The opera did make me question what true love really is, and it showed me that there are a million different interpretations as what love means to every individual. In the opera, I found it funny how the characters fell in love with each other in a second, but it just taught me that we can’t judge people for how they love.