Eat Like You’re Jewish

I definitely do. However, not exactly the foods they spoke about. I was kind of annoyed that they didn’t speak about more of the Middle Eastern foods because that’s what Jewish food is to me. But we were warned that they were going to talk about Ashkenazi (European) Jewish food and not Sephardic (Middle Eastern) Jewish food, except for Na’ama who brought Israeli and Iraqi food to the table (barely in my opinion).

During the discussion I kept wondering to myself–and to Miriam– how much of all of this is most of the class getting. I think I followed pretty much the whole thing because I understood the foods they were talking about and the words they were saying. That, I would, is what allowed me to enjoy this event.

If I didn’t know what they were talking about, and if it was totally foreign to me, then I don’t think that I would have enjoyed the event as much. It was pretty funny to hear them say “trayf” (not-kosher) and “kubbeh.” And whenever there was a joke, I laughed right along with the rest of the audience.

At one point during the event I thought to myself that they were discussing the history of the Jewish food in New York. Food. That’s what we’re talking about. And then I realized that yes, it is something worth talking about. It should definitely be considered a type of art; people really love making, preparing, looking at and especially eating the food. It’s something the mostly everyone enjoys.

I really enjoyed the Q&A part. There were a few questions that I really thought were good and that I was thinking about beforehand or that really made me think. Others were just amusing to listen to and amusing to hear the answers/responses. It was a really interesting event. I’m glad I got to go.