Midterm Question…

Q:  If anything could be art, then nothing is art. Where do you draw the line between art and something else? Is it even possible to define art? Is it purely subjective (based on individual opinion) or does there exist a style or work that is objectively worthy of the title of “art”?

1 comment

1 Ana Luiza Teodoro { 11.08.14 at 4:22 pm }

I think in terms of what is and isn’t art there is a line that can be crossed into “that’s not art.” A for defining what art is I know I have no definition for what it is yet, but isn’t that the purpose of this class? To figure out what the definition of this abstract and organic “thing” that all of us know and appreciate and live with but can’t describe. I think art is subjective, and we as a human society do share some basic instincts that make us all go “oh that’s beautiful” and shy away at other pieces and go “now that’s too much.” But also in regards to what is and isn’t art, there will always be that one person who will deviate from what the majority views as art and create/say something different as to what is and isn’t. So the best definition I think I can understand to what art is, is the physical representation of the complexities of human relations and emotion that pushes the limits to its own definition