Food Talks: Eat Like You’re Jewish

Although many of the other students had their aversions to the discussion, I personally loved it, though that is most probably because I’m Jewish and therefore it was easier for me to relate to what they were saying. Since my greatest hobby is baking and cooking, I loved the fact that we went to an event that discussed food. Going into the show, I knew that they weren’t going to be speaking about the Jewish foods that I’m used to eating, like Middle Eastern foods, but I wish that they did because the foods that they chose to speak about don’t scream out “Jewish” to me, such as bagels, lox, and delis. I associate those foods with regular everyday life and people.

The discussion was flowing amongst the speakers, and the audience was interacting, which gave this sense of unity in the room. I felt as if I was in high school again where mostly everyone around me had something in common, being Jewish, which is something that I haven’t been around for months. What did make me uncomfortable though was the fact that many of my classmates felt as though they were left out because they had no idea what the speakers were speaking about since they aren’t Jewish and therefore I took it upon myself to try and explain to one of my classmates the different aspects of Judaism and Jewish foods which gave me pride in the extensive knowledge I have of my religion.

After going to the show, I realized how many different types of foods there are within different groups of people and ethnicities, even amongst my own. As a food lover, this has made me want to learn more about how food unites people and what food means to every family.