Gary Winogrand Photography Exhibit Reflection

*(I realized I never got the chance to upload this and just left it on my computer. So here it is now.)*

I went to the Gary Winograd Exhibit on its last day at the Met with my mom after a long day. Having already gone in for a shift at work and then to the Macaulay building to work on the Night at the Museum group project, I was physically exhausted and wasn’t sure if I’d be ready to analyze photography. I believe photography to be one of the most precise and demanding forms of art since it requires the upmost care, and often a meticulous work ethic, for a photo or photographer to stand out to me. Considering all the people my age with DSLRs it’s very easy for one to think they can excel in the field of photography.

This visit was also really interesting for me because I was going with my mom who used to be a professional photographer herself before she started our family. Also I frequently used to go with her to art exhibits and institutions, which we hadn’t visited recently.

I was astounded by Winogrand’s photography, from his simple but carefully chosen shots of everyday life and emotion in New York, to his atmospheric and oblique angle shots of Nevada and LA landscapes. Winogrand was an expert in use of high contrast in some of his earlier photographs and he knew when to capture real expression. A couple shots that stood out to me included one of a child holding a mother’s hand while in the waves at Brighton Beach and one of a little girl mimicking the anger and disgust of, who I would assume to be, her father donning a hard hat in a protest with other workers.