My Thoughts on Opera

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see “Carmen” with the class this Tuesday, but coincidently I had the opportunity to see part of it during high school for a class. We watched a practice run of the first act and then went backstage to see the set design, costume, and prop rooms. It was a really interesting experience to see how much went into an opera production besides the talent of the singers. While opera may not be my most preferred art form, I appreciate the intricacies of an opera. The training and practice the singers themselves go through is impressive in itself, but the visual aspect of the performance is captivating. The costumes and set are usually very ornate, and the fact that the singers sing at that volume and range while acting and dancing on stage is incredible.

Watching Amanda Hicks sing in a small room for our class was just really awesome. Her expertise in both singing and her knowledge of opera was enriching. I’m glad we could have that experience to watch a great opera singer so personally.