Carnegie Hall

Yesterday’s performance was beautiful, I think.

I had a couple of thoughts that may be random or relevant.

Firstly, when the performance first started I couldn’t help but think of how much they all looked like robots. Each musician’s body- particularly their hands and neck- was moved in such sudden and violent movements. Sometimes I felt like that made them all the same, but other times I saw such big differences from one musician’s movements to the next.
Also, looking around at the audience, I thought about the human race’s  obsession with watching others perform. So much of our culture, specifically in NYC, has to do with performers mastering specific movements/skills/shows in order to entertain. I don’t know how I feel about this.
I thought it was really beautiful how quickly they all moved at some points, and how perfectly they did it. I loved the intensity of some of the music.
One thing I am wondering- and I hope all of you musicians forgive me- is what makes this musician “amazing?” Of course I see a difference in some musicians, but aren’t there many people who can play Vivaldi’s piece? What makes this performance better than others?