Anne-Sophie at Carnegie Hall

I really did love this event. I love “The Four Seasons” composed by Antonio Vivaldi. Plus, I thought it was awesome that we go those encores at the end. especially the first one, which was a movement in one of the seasons and the last one, “Air” by Johann Sebastian Bach.

Just as Jeannette asked, I had thought the same thing… What makes Anne-Sophie better than other professional violinist.? It’s a type of question that I always think of. What makes something better than another?

The performance was generally beautiful. The music was beautiful. I also really enjoyed watching them all play. The synchronization of all the musicians was really cool. At times they even seemed to be feeling the same emotions from the music while they were moving in the same ways.

Winter. That is and was always my favorite, especially the first movement. I love the main violin part. It really just captures me and takes me along with the music. It made my heart physically feel something that I just can’t really explain.

That is a major part when I noticed the fingers on the violin. Anne-Sophie had to move her fingers and her bow so quickly that I couldn’t follow them with my eyes. And (to my ear at least) she didn’t mess up. It was flawless.

Earlier than that, I noticed the fingers specifically on the cello. The reason is because I had some experience with playing the cello and from that I could really understand how hard it is. I tried to imagine myself playing what they were playing (and for that long at a time!) and I thought that I would just fail at it (I mean yes, they are professionals). It makes me sad to think that even with real practice and training (which I hope I could get back to) I won’t be able to play half as good as they do.

But that just shows that this is all they do and it’s their lives. The spend most of their lives playing their respect instruments and performing. Creating the sounds of beautiful music for all of us to enjoy. And for those instances that I am watching them and really sinking into the music, I feel that we’re connected, almost as if I’m playing with them.

(And then a harpsichord solo can bring me back to reality.)