Five Borough Food Talks

I enjoyed this event and was able to relate to it because I am Jewish. I felt that many people could just not appreciate what the panelist were saying and referring to because they had no idea what they were talking about.

At the beginning of the show, I was looking at the program with the picture of the two owners of Zabars. I looked in front of me and one of the owners were sitting in front of me. I was starstruck. The owner of Zabars was sitting in front of me! I wasn’t sure if it was him and kept asking the people around me if it was him, and lo and behold it was!

I enjoyed hearing about “Jewish” food but was confused because those foods are just associated with ‘ashkenazic’ Jews, not Sephardic Jews. I was hoping that the people would talk about the two different backgrounds of Jews and felt enlightened somewhat when the israeli woman spoke about that.

Other than that, I enjoyed this trip and was happy that I was able to hear about foods that my mother cooks at home. It was nice to share that experience with someone else. Those panelist also remember coming home to their grandmother making matzah ball soup, and I was so excited because while they were reminiscing about that moment, I was picturing myself running home to have a hot bowl of chicken matzah ball soup.