On a Stool at the End of the Bar

This was definitely one of my favorite performances that we went to. It made me happy that the Professor trusted us enough to be mature in something that was rather racy, and very heavy to go to. The storyline of the play was very controversial and many times very difficult to listen to because of the intense homophobia, but it educated me because it showed me how difficult people’s lives can be when dealing with such strenuous matters as such.

The entire time I was wondering how my classmates would react to the play because I wasn’t sure how I was reacting to it myself. At some points during the performance I found myself literally sitting on the edge of my seat with anticipation, or clenching my fists out of fear and anger combined. I just couldn’t believe that someone wrote a play that consisted of so much profanity and hatefulness on a topic that is even difficult to speak about regularly. During intermission, a few of us were talking about the play, and everyone seemed to be in complete shock because they were not expecting something so racy and different.

This play was not the a-typical love story or Disney play, but it did send a message to me. It showed me that everyone has their own story to tell and everyone should be given the same chance to tell it without being judged because everyone is different, and thats what makes this world a more interesting place to live in.