Five Boro Food Talk:

When I first heard about this trip, I think it was the one I was most pumped about. It was about food and was curious as to how food could become art. I was kind of down in the dumps when I heard we wouldn’t be trying any and we’d only be talking about it, but it didn’t matter, I love learning about different cultures. I noticed when we sat down we were the only younger audience members in the crowd. I thought a lot of it had to do with the fact that it was a school night, but when I think back, I think a lot of has to do with what was mentioned in the talk. As generations go on, we lose our culture and the newer generations don’t care as much. I felt as if those in the crowd were trying to learn to prevent it. This was pretty much the only part I understood about the talk. I was kind of upset about that because I really wanted to learn about Jewish food. They spoke as if everyone in the crowd knew about what they were talking about and not everyone even if they were Jewish, knew. I just wish they could have explained some of the meals better because I thought it was meant to be for all people. Afterwards I realized that it was mainly focused on the city instead of the five boroughs. I didn’t mind, I just wish the title didn’t give us false information. Of course, they did have a time restraint. I liked the advertising the man did at the end. That was clever. I also like how they clarified between kosher and Jewish food because I always grouped them the same way. It’s like saying Uzbek food and halal. Two completely different things. The last thing I’d like to touch on that I wouldn’t have noticed if someone from the group I commute to and from events with hadn’t mentioned was that the Jewish food they talked about wasn’t what she had known as Jewish food. What area is this Jewish food specific too? I was left with a lot of questions and feeling confused, but I’m glad/ hope the rest of the audience understood and learned the differences. They were the ones who wanted to and could preserve their culture better.

Overall, I agree with Sally when she says “I guess in the end I came to the talk expecting it to go one way, but was disappointed since I left the talk not knowing about much more Jewish food then I had started with.”