Garry Winogrand

Although I went to see this exhibit the first weekend it was assigned, I never posted about it because I lost all my footage from that day! I was kind of excited to go to the museum just because it was a trip to the city and I got to see two classmates. Although it was raining, I didn’t want the bad weather to effect my day. We went to the exhibit and I was surprised at the amount of people that went to see all of his work. I didn’t think this guy was that famous honestly. I liked ho his work wasn’t titled, but it gave the location where it was taken to offer some sort of context, but still let our imaginations run free. Some shots I thought were phenomenal—specifically, the one where the man is in the telephone booth talking to someone. I like it because you can see his facial expression clearly and can feel the emotions he feels. You can almost tell a story out of it. I also really like the one with the elephant because when I was looking at it, an older woman next to me couldn’t tell it was an elephant and had to ask the person next to her “Is that an elephant?” It made me realize that not everyone can see the image right away or in the same way that I do. I felt like some of his candid shots really deserved to be placed in the museum because not everyone could take those photos, but a lot of them felt redundant and not so special. Some of the photos I felt almost angry for being in the museum because I feel like had anyone else been in the location he was to take pictures, he or she may have done just as well, if not better at photographing the scene. Overall, it was different though. I never knew candid photography could be considered art and how popular it was. The exhibit was pretty crowded. After we enjoyed some other art in another exhibit and much of it had to do with religion. I thought it was interesting because neither one of us followed that religion, but still found some of that art to be beautiful. We went to go get some extra credit food but the wait was roughly an hour and at that point it was pouring, so we got some pizza instead and discussed philosophy and our lives. I really enjoyed getting to know my classmates. I talked to Heather for the first time that day and made a new friend. So, thank you Garry Winogrand and thank you Professor Ugoretz. 🙂