On a Stool at The End of a Bar:

One of my favorite trips we went on. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that our seats were so close so we could actually engage in it. Honestly, with the other performances, I’d lose interest quickly because my eyes would be strained. This one talked about such a controversial topic and brought my attention to a situation I had never even thought about. I liked how they utilized every aspect of the small space they had for the set. It was well thought out. My favorite part that I really thought the acting was perfect was when the son got into a brawl with his father. I could see their veins popping out on their necks when the yelled. It was awesome. I wish I had read the paper they gave us earlier. I thought the whole play was set in modern day, so I felt very angry that they threw out derogatory words like faggot. I was also upset that the mother allowed her “family” to call her that and didn’t stick up for herself. Also with this show, the audience was older which surprised me. I usually associate older crowds as less open minded to things like this. (That’s just me being ignorant. I’m sorry.) I wanted to know an ending so bad! I feel like the whole shebang would not have happened if she had just been honest! I don’t know what I’d do if my significant other told me he had been lying to me since he met me. I’d feel betrayed and hurt that I’d been made a fool out of, but I love them, or had loved them. It was upsetting because I felt awful for the kids. Although they said they didn’t care, this news changes everything. If their friends find out, they could be ridiculed for the rest of their school career and be traumatizing. It’s nice to know that their love for their mother transcends all of that. I’m very glad to have gone on this trip since it inspired half of the class immediately after. I think that’s what makes art good—if it provokes thought or inspiration.