20150924_174404

What are those?! This is the first thought that entered my mind as I stood in front of this artwork.  My theory is that works of graffiti, like the one above, is a message, encoded so that only a select few people can comprehend the message.  When I looked closely, I believed that it was a fancy form of cursive writing.  This is the main reason that I liked this work of art: it seemed to have a definitive purpose unlike the other works of art in the highline.  Many people say that art conveys something, something that is different for anyone who views it.  But not this art.  This art had ONE purpose.  According to my theory, which may or may not be credible, the artist was trying to convey a cryptic, written message to someone.  The next logical question is: who is the message intended for?  Is it the common people, members of an inconspicuous organization or someone else entirely?  As I stood in west Manhattan, I began to think about the writing.  The work of art probably wasn’t meant for the upper class society since they would have other means necessary to disperse their messages.  I theorized that this art belonged to a young to middle aged strata of society as corroborated by the style of writing, the use of spray paint etc.  Although I could neither establish the intended audience of the art or its meaning, I liked this work because it was thought provoking.