Opera Reflections

I never realized how many misconceptions I’ve had about Opera until we actually went to one. I used to think opera was some lady who had powerful vocals singing solo for a long period of time about God knows what.  I don’t remember where I got that impression in my head, but it stuck all the way up to the opera. Maybe a little before considering we were told about the opera by the Opera singer who visited us. I didn’t know that Opera really had much of a story/play aspect to it. I thought it was mainly focused on listening to the vocals and with little to no action other than a person standing and singing. Now I know it’s obviously way more intricate, complex, and developed than that. I know people preferred the ballet and disliked the long intermissions, but I personally didn’t find them that long. That’s because instead of just sitting I went and explored the actual building itself, and that adds the crucial that I believe comes as a package with the experience. You are supposed to take in the high class nature of the event and listen to the sometimes incredibly pretentious conversations because that’s what the opera has always been; a high class social event. It probably takes age and money to really enjoy it, but nonetheless, I did.

1. Sayuj Zachariah

Wow Adam! Reading your reflection makes me feel like I missed out on a lot. I really like your perspective of the opera being not just a performance on stage, but also an experience with many aspects.
    I like how you made use of such a long intermission by exploring the building itself, turning something negative into something positive. You even went above and beyond by recognizing the nature of the opera as a high-class event, with high class pretentious conversations. This is something I would never do.