Response

Greg brings up a very good point in his blog post about America : “The cultures in America, while retaining connection to their roots, are unable to avoid mixing.” I believe that America today is indeed a mix. This idea is completely separate from the common belief that America is a “melting pot”. The phrase “melting pot” would imply a fusion or merging of heterogeneous things in order to form a cohesive and homogeneous end product. This, however, is not the case. Like what Ashley said, America is more of a salad bowl. The individual components, such as the tomatoes, lettuce and croutons, can be easily seen and picked out. Yet, although, the salad consists of parts; it still works.

These parts, on a more symbolic level, represent the different cultures and backgrounds that so vividly characterize America. I think the idea that ToniAnn focuses on about how there is “technically no ethnic group called ‘American'”, is very accurate in this case. When I hear the word American, there is no distinctive image that pops into my head of how an American should look like. This is why I also believe that immigrants never assimilate completely. If this were the case, America would easily be defined. There would not be a mix languages, styles, foods and cultures because there would be one general norm. This yet again goes back to the idea of a salad bowl.

Personally, I feel that I have assimilated well into American culture, but I still keep some of my Chinese heritage intact. I would consider myself Chinese-American. My older sister, however, probably sees herself in a different light since she was raised in China much longer than I was. If you asked her what ethnicity she is, she would also answer Chinese-American, but she definitely would consider herself more Chinese than American. The hyphen, I think allows us to not exactly put a label on what we are. It acts as sort of a spectrum. I would lean more toward the right side of the hyphen, while my sister would lean to the left. I think this is a unique characteristic of America that no other country can boast of having. The answer is not set in stone and so we can essentially chose what we want to be.

This entry was posted in February 8 Context: Race, Assimilation, and Ethnicity. Bookmark the permalink.