Response-2/22

What immigrants endured to set foot on the soil we are all on at the present moment….whoa.

There really is no comparison between the journey to America for the “old immigrants” and the “new immigrants.” As William mentioned, the conditions that the old immigrants experienced were simply horrifying, but they were determined to persevere and start anew. I found it interesting, though, that many of the immigrants who arrived in New York did hold some degree of advanced education and some previously acquired skills. A percentage of the newcomers were even professionals in certain fields. When imagining the first immigrants who traveled to America, I have an image in my mind of immigrants staggering forward in rags, exhausted from their grueling journey, lacking confidence, struggling to communicate, fearful expressions on their faces and somewhat ignorant.

It was also interesting to discover that most of the illegal immigrants have not “snuck secretly across the border or hidden out in boats.” (Foner.) Most of the currently undocumented immigrants have entered on a temporary visa, and become illegal once they extend their stay past the date they were allowed to. But the fact that these immigrants have to provide proof to consulate officials that they have financial reason to return to their home country indicates what these immigrants are willing to do in order to live in America. Living in America, for them, is having their dream fulfilled. I take it for granted that I’m able to live in this country, abound with opportunities of every kind.

Though I also wondered why people with degrees would risk economic demotion by immigrating to America, I though of a few reasons why one would still leave. First of all, political oppression would definitely be a factor in one’s decision to leave. But also, based on the concept of chain migration, if the majority of one’s family has already immigrated to America, he will probably want to travel to America as well. Even if he had a steady job and income in his homeland, he may just hope to transport his business to America (which, after all, is the “Golden Land,”) in order to be with his family.

In response to ToniAnn’s spark regarding racism among different ethnic groups in America, I don’t think this was something new or something that is likely to change drastically in the near future. (Sigh.) As unfortunate as it may be, I cannot think of any community whose inhabitants get along in perfect harmony—differences among the people are bound to exist, giving rise to stereotypes, and once stereotypes exist, there is plenty of room for discrimination and hostility. I think that the only way that racism and tension can truly be eliminated is with the entire community’s willingness and efforts. The chance of this happening? Possible, but rare, I believe.

In any case, the Five Points described in the book is long gone—what used to be a particularly diverse area is now solely the home of the Chinese. It makes me wonder if the New York we all know of today will be the same—in just the near future.

This entry was posted in February 22 Peopling of NY: Old and New Immigrants. Bookmark the permalink.